The Diversity Visa (DV) Program is otherwise known as the Green Card Lottery and makes up to 50,000 immigrant visas available annually, drawn from random selection among all entries to individuals who are from countries with low rates of immigration to the United States. Most lottery winners reside outside the United States and immigrate through consular processing and issuance of an immigrant visa.
- Submit your application for the program online
- Get the confirmation unique number
- Use your confirmation number to check your status in the DV lottery website, at the time when results are posted
- Once selected, you need to start with the visa application process. You must get ready to move only if visa is granted to you.
- Upon arrival, you can apply for the Green card which grants you permanent residency
Note: There are, however, a small number of lottery winners each year who, at the time of “winning the lottery,” are residing in the United States in a nonimmigrant or other legal status. For these winners residing inside the United States, USCIS processes adjustment of status applications
Browse 970 work & immigration visas in 150 countries.