📅 Published at 14 June, 2023 & Last updated at 15 June, 2023

Bilateral visa agreements: How US and Canadian citizens can stay in the EU more than 90 days without a visa

Authored by visadb.io Team

Bilateral visa agreements: How US and Canadian citizens can stay in the EU more than 90 days without a visa

Table of Contents:

For several reasons, you might need to stay longer than the allowed 90 days in the EU area; however, it is not always possible to apply for a long-term visa. Learn more about bilateral visa agreements and how US and Canadian citizens can stay in the EU more than 90 days without a visa in this blog entry.

Visa waiver agreements are bilateral agreements that allow citizens of one country to enter another country without the need for a visa, typically for tourism or business purposes, for a specified period. However, some countries may have additional agreements within these visa waiver arrangements that provide an extension of the initial duration of stay.

These are the European countries with established bilateral visa waiver agreements with the United States. 

These are the European countries with established bilateral visa waiver agreements with Canada. 

Note that the specific details of these agreements can vary between different member states and third countries, and the list itself may be maintained and updated by the relevant authorities or organizations responsible for managing visa policies and international relations.

How can I make a bilateral visa waiver agreement valid to stay longer in an EU country?

1. Check the Agreement: Verify if a bilateral visa waiver agreement exists, and if it is still valid.  Research the official government websites, consulates, or embassies to gather accurate information about the agreement and its terms.

2. Understand the Eligibility Criteria: Familiarize yourself with the eligibility criteria outlined in the bilateral visa waiver agreement. It may specify the purpose of your visit (e.g., tourism, business), the maximum duration of your stay, and conditions for extending your stay.

3. Ensure Compliance: Ensure that you meet the requirements for entering the EU country under the visa waiver agreement. This may include having a valid passport with a minimum validity period, proof of sufficient funds to support yourself during the extended stay, and evidence of return or onward travel.

4. Seek Extension: If you wish to extend your stay beyond the initially permitted period, contact the relevant immigration authorities in the EU country. Inquire about the process for extending your stay under the bilateral visa waiver agreement. They will provide you with the necessary application forms and any supporting documents required.

5. Submit Application (IF ANY): Complete the extension application form accurately, providing all necessary details. Attach any required supporting documents, such as proof of accommodation, travel insurance, financial means, and a valid return ticket. Some countries such as Denmark do not require you to apply. 

If it is the case for an application, follow these steps:

  • Pay Fees: Depending on the country and the specific circumstances, there may be fees associated with applying for a visa extension. Ensure that you pay the applicable fees as instructed by the immigration authorities.

  • Await Decision: After submitting your application, the immigration authorities will review it and make a decision. The processing time may vary, so be prepared for potential waiting periods. During this time, it is important to refrain from overstaying your initial permitted period.

  • Follow Immigration Guidelines: While your application is being processed, it is crucial to comply with immigration guidelines and regulations. Ensure that you adhere to the conditions of your original entry and do not engage in any activities that would violate the terms of the bilateral visa waiver agreement.

  • Obtain Approval or Take Necessary Actions: If your visa extension is approved, you will receive the necessary documentation, such as a new entry stamp or visa label, allowing you to legally stay for an extended period. Alternatively, if your application is denied, you may need to make alternative arrangements, such as leaving the country before your initial authorized stay expires.

Note: The time you use the agreement does not count as a time out of Schengen so you still have to spend the time out before reentering.

Remember, the specific process and requirements for extending your stay under a bilateral visa waiver agreement can vary between EU countries. It is crucial to consult official sources, such as the relevant embassy or immigration authorities, for the most accurate and up-to-date information pertaining to your specific circumstances. Read the official document that includes all third-world countries here.

We hope that this information has been useful to you. Learn more about visa options for the long term at visadb.io.

article Related Blogs

Subscribe to our newsletter

We send you latest news and updates about Visa and Immigration