Federal Self-employed Talent Permit

Cost of Living
Talent Migration


The Self-employed Persons Program allows people to immigrate to Canada permanently as a self-employed person.

For this program, you must:

  • Have relevant experience in cultural activities or athletics.
  • Be willing and able to make a significant contribution to the cultural or athletic life of Canada.

Application Process:



Lifelong Month(s)



36 Month(s)





P. Residency

1 Month(s)


Processing time

100 weeks




What are eligibility requirements for the Federal Self-employed Talent Permit?

4 Eligibility Requirements

  • Applicant must have taken part in cultural activities or athletics at a world-class level or been a self-employed person in cultural activities or athletics.
  • Applicant must be willing and able to be self-employed in Canada.
  • Applicant must meet the program’s selection criteria.
  • Applicant must meet medical, security and other conditions.

Which documents do I need to apply for the Federal Self-employed Talent Permit?

17 Document Required

  • Generic application form (IMM 0008).
  • Background/Declaration (IMM 5669).
  • Additional dependent/ Declaration (IMM 0008 DEP) (if applicable).
  • Supplementary Information: Your Travels (IMM 5562).
  • Business Immigrant - Self Employed Person.
  • Additional Family Information (IMM 5406).
  • Use a representative (IMM 5476).
  • Proof of your earned original educational credential(s) or full-time (or full-time equivalent) studies. Proof may include certificates, diplomas, degrees, transcripts, etc.
  • Photocopies of your language proficiency test results (no older than 2 years at the time of application) from one of the IELTS (General Training Test only) for English or CELPIP (General test only) for English and/or TEF for French.
  • Photocopies of your relevant experience during the five years before application submission in one of the Cultural activities (self-employment or participation at a world class level) or Athletics (self-employment or participation at a world class level).
  • Copies of your spouse or common-law partner's earned educational credential(s), work in Canada, and your or your accompanying spouse or common-law partner's familial relationship to a Canadian citizen or permanent resident living in Canada (If applicable).
  • Copy of the pages of your valid passport or travel documents for you, your spouse or common-law partner and your dependent children, showing: the passport number; date of issue and expiry; the photo, name, date and place of birth; pages showing any amendments in name, date of birth, expiration, etc.
  • Police Certificates and Clearances.
  • Identity and Civil Status Documents including Children Birth certificates, Adoption papers, Proof of full custody, etc.
  • 2 photos for each member of your family, whether accompanying or not, and yourself.
  • Fee payment in an acceptable format.
  • Documents checklist form along with application.

Talent Migration data for Canada

Talent gain & drain map of 2015-2019 data. Sourced from World Bank Digital Development Data.

Disclaimer: Visadb.io is a FREE visa database and Immigration Expert Marketplace. The information displayed in this page is not legal advice. Please speak to an Expert before applying.

feedbackImprove this page

Subscribe to our newsletter

We send you latest news and updates about Visa and Immigration