Immigrant visas

South Africa
Cost of Living
Talent Migration


Applications for permanent residency in South Africa are considered in terms of Section 26 (Direct Residency Permits) and Section 27 (Residency-on-Other-Grounds Permits) of the Immigration Act 2002 (Act No 13 of 2002), and read with Regulation 33 of the Immigration Regulations. In terms of granting Permanent Residency Permits, emphasis is placed on immigrants who are in a position to make a meaningful contribution to broadening the economic base of South Africa.

Direct residence permits

This category of permit is applicable to foreigners who have been residing in South Africa on the basis of their work permits for a minimum period of five years, their spouses and also to dependents of South African citizens/permanent residence permit holders.

Residency-on-other-grounds permits

This category of permits applies to foreigners who:

  • are in possession of a permanent work offer in South Africa.
  • or have exceptional skills and qualifications.
  • intend to establish a business in South Africa.
  • qualify as Refugees in terms of Section 27(c) of the Refugees Act.
  • qualify as retired persons.
  • are financially independent.
  • are relatives (biologically or judicially adopted) of a South African citizen/permanent residence permit holder.


Lifelong Month(s)



60 Month(s)





P. Residency

2 Month(s)


Processing time

10-12 weeks




What are eligibility requirements for the Immigrant visas?

4 Eligibility Requirements

  • You need to fall in either direct residence permit or residency on other grounds permit category.
  • You need temporary residence permit (if applicable).
  • You should be of good character.
  • You need to pay processing fee.

Which documents do I need to apply for the Immigrant visas?

10 Document Required

  • Form BI-947.
  • A full set of fingerprints.
  • A marriage certificate/proof of spousal relationship (if applicable).
  • A divorce decree/proof of legal separation (if applicable).
  • Proof of custody of a minor (if applicable).
  • A death certificate for a late spouse (if applicable).
  • The consent of parents in the case of minors.
  • Proof of judicial adoption of a minor (if applicable).
  • Police clearance certificates for all countries in which you resided for a period of one year or longer since your 18th birthday.
  • A valid temporary residency permit (if already in South Africa).

Talent Migration data for South Africa

Talent gain & drain map of 2015-2019 data. Sourced from World Bank Digital Development Data.

Disclaimer: is a FREE visa database and Immigration Expert Marketplace. The information displayed in this page is not legal advice. Please speak to an Expert before applying.

feedbackImprove this page

Subscribe to our newsletter

We send you latest news and updates about Visa and Immigration