Gainful Employment Excepted Visa

Cost of Living
Talent Migration


Non-EEA / Swiss citizens who intend to reside or settle in Austria for a period of more than six months require a residence title (permission to stay for more than 6 months) corresponding to their 'non-gainful activity' in Austria.

For stays of up to 6 months, no residence title shall be granted.



24 months



120 Month(s)



130 approx.


P. Residency

60 Month(s)


Processing time

6 - 8 weeks




What are eligibility requirements for the Gainful Employment Excepted Visa?

4 Eligibility Requirements

  • Applicant must have a fixed and regular own income without resorting to welfare aid from local authorities. (e.g.income from assets / enterprises abroad, local or foreign pension etc.) For Singles €909.42 (approx. $1032.76 USD), for married couples or partnerships €1,363.52 (approx. $1548.35 USD), and €140.32 (approx. $159.34 USD) additionally for each child.
  • Applicant must have health insurance coverage, providing benefits in Austria and covering all risks.
  • Applicant must have adequate accommodation according to local standards.
  • Applicant must provide evidence of German language skills at A1 level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.

Which documents do I need to apply for the Gainful Employment Excepted Visa?

8 Document Required

  • Valid travel document (This requirement is waived in the case of a first application of a child within six months after birth, if the child does not yet have a valid travel document).
  • Birth certificate or similar document (only with first applications).
  • Current photo of applicant.
  • If applicable Marriage certificate, Divorce certificate, Certificate of registered partnership, Certificate of dissolution of registered partnership, Adoption papers, Evidence or certificate concerning the family relationship, or Death certificate.
  • Evidence of a legal title and cost to an accommodation (lease or sublease contracts, preliminary property contracts or ownership evidence).
  • Evidence of health insurance protection covering the stay.
  • Evidence of means of secure subsistence (certificates of state pension, pension insurance or other insurance benefits, evidence of adequate amounts of invested capital or owned assets).
  • Evidence of German language skills (Diploma from any of these: Austrian Language Diploma German, Goethe-Institut e.V, Telc GmbH, Austrian Integration Fund (ÖIF)).

Talent Migration data for Austria

Talent gain & drain map of 2015-2019 data. Sourced from World Bank Digital Development Data.

Disclaimer: is a FREE visa database and Immigration Expert Marketplace. The information displayed in this page is not legal advice. Please speak to an Expert before applying.

feedbackImprove this page

Hire verified experts for your next visa is trusted and funded by European Union, UNWTO, CORFO, MITEF and other organizations. Read more about us here.


No platform fee

Visadb is free for all users and we charge experts a fee.


Verified & Licenced Experts

We select high-reputation Experts, conduct video-interviews and verify their businesses.

as seen inFeatured in BBCFeatured in Business InsiderFeatured in CNNFeatured in The Next WebFeatured in The Guardian

Subscribe to our newsletter

We send you latest news and updates about Visa and Immigration