Student Long Stay Visa

Cost of Living


Non-EU students who wish to study and reside in Belgium for more than 3 months, need to apply for a student long stay visa. This visa allows you to study and work part-time depending on the policy of the university and your course.

The processing time for study visa may take from 6-12 weeks from the application day.

You can bring spouse and kids with you.

The passport remains at the Embassy / Consulate during the entire process of visa proceeding

The general application process is;

  1. Find a course in an approved educational institution of Belgium

  2. Contact the university and initiate your application process.

  3. Find out the requirements from the university to get the acceptance/admission letter.

  4. Get the acceptance/registration letter from the university in Belgium

  5. Prepare your visa application and gather other required documents for it.

  6. Apply for a student visa and prepare to move to Belgium

Note: Within 8 days of your arrival, you must present yourself to the local authorities of your place of residence to obtain your residency permit.

If you're a foreign student enrolled at a Belgian educational institution and have a valid residence permit you can work up to 20 hours a week during term time, as long as it does not interfere with your studies.



12 months



120 Month(s)



70 approx.



60 Month(s)




Eligibility Requirements

3 Eligibility Requirements for Student Long Stay Visa

  • You must have a written confirmation from your chosen higher education institution.
  • You must have sufficient financial means to support your studies and stay in Belgium.
  • You must be of good health and character.

Document Requirements

8 Document Required for Student Long Stay Visa

  • A completed and signed visa application form.
  • Copy of passport/travel document with blank pages for the visa and which is valid for more than 12 months.
  • An attestation of registration as a regular student in higher education delivered by an educational establishment organized, recognized or subsidized by the public authorities.
  • If applicant is following part-time education, proof that the said education is to be the principal activity and a preparation for or complement to full-time education (detailed study plan and supporting letter).
  • If applicant is following a preparatory year ahead of higher education, proof of the preparatory character of the education with regard to the higher education studies envisaged (detailed study plan, supporting letter and, where possible, an attestation by the relevant higher education establishment authorizing the taking of registrations at the end of the preparatory year.
  • Education certificates like secondary school (high school) end of studies diploma, Bachelor’s degree or Masters degree, alongside a transcript of your grades.
  • Proof that you are the recipient of a grant or proof of independent financial means of support.
  • A medical certificate and Police certificate.

feedbackImprove this page

Hire verified experts for your next visa is trusted and funded by European Union, UNWTO, CORFO, MITEF and other organizations.


No platform fee

Visadb is free for all users and we charge experts a fee.


Verified & Licenced Experts

We select high-reputation Experts, conduct video-interviews and verify their businesses.