Student Permit

Costa Rica
Cost of Living
Talent Migration


If a person wishes to stay in Costa Rica as a student, a provisional visa must be requested at the nearest Costa Rica consulate.

Once the requirements are completed, a provisional visa will be issued. The Consulate will return to the applicant the documentation which must be submitted to the Costa Rica Immigration Office. Once in Costa Rica, the applicant must finalize the application process.



12 months



36 Month(s)



170 max.


P. Residency

84 Month(s)


Processing time

3 - 4 weeks




What are eligibility requirements for the Student Permit?

4 Eligibility Requirements

  • You need a passport valid for at least 6 months.
  • You need to enroll in an educational institute as a student.
  • You need sufficient funds to cover stay period.
  • You must be of good chracter.

Which documents do I need to apply for the Student Permit?

7 Document Required

  • Application letter for a provisional visa under the special category of student, where the following data is included: i) full name and last name, ii) nationality, iii) passport number, iv) current address, v) occupation, vi) intended address whilst in Costa Rica, vii) date and place of birth, viii) fax number to receive notifications and ix) date and signature.
  • Birth certificate duly apostilled.
  • Criminal records certificate, duly apostilled.
  • Original and complete photocopy of the passport or travel document, with a validity of at least 6 months.
  • Acceptance letter of the teaching institution, public or private, or the institution (recognized in Costa Rica) stating the admission of the person as a student.
  • Proof of economic viability to remain in the country for the intended time.
  • 2 passport size photographs, front and recent date o

Talent Migration data for Costa Rica

Talent gain & drain map of 2015-2019 data. Sourced from World Bank Digital Development Data.

Disclaimer: is a FREE visa database and Immigration Expert Marketplace. The information displayed in this page is not legal advice. Please speak to an Expert before applying.

feedbackImprove this page

Subscribe to our newsletter

We send you latest news and updates about Visa and Immigration