Long Stay Student Visa

Cost of Living
Talent Migration


Foreign nationals who wish to enter France under study purposes with the intention to remain there more than three months, up to a year, are separated under a few categories according to their age and studies. This is a visa only for foreign children, whose parents do not reside in France, meaning a child whose at least one of the parents resides in France, is not eligible for this type of visa.

Students under 18 who wish to continue their studies in France in a public or private primary, secondary or higher education establishment, will need to apply for this kind of visa, the maximum validity of which is 11 months.

Categories who do not require this long stay visa:

  • Third country nationals that hold a short-stay visa marked as Famille de Français (‘Family of a French national’).
  • EU nationals.
  • EEA nationals (Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein).
  • Nationals of the principalities of Monaco and Andorra.
  • Nationals of San Marino and the Holy See.
  • Foreign nationals and their families who have acquired long-term resident status in another EU country.
  • Students who have attended school in France without interruption from the age of 16 and are continuing their studies in the country.


12 months max.



112 (approx.)


Processing time

8 weeks max.




What are eligibility requirements for the Long Stay Student Visa?

4 Eligibility Requirements

  • You must be over 18 years of age.
  • You must have already chosen your training course or studies.
  • You must be accepted by a higher education establishment. Enrolment conditions differ depending on your nationality, please check the link for details.
  • For other countries, check the enrollment conditions in terms of specialties and level of education, please visit the link.

Which documents do I need to apply for the Long Stay Student Visa?

10 Document Required

  • Application form dated and signed.
  • ID photograph.
  • If you are not a national of your country of residence, please provide proof of your legal residency in this country (e.g. residence permit, etc.).
  • Travel document, valid for at least three months after the planned date of return.
  • Pre registration certificate generated by the platform: for countries under the EEF-Studies in France procedure. Other countries should provide Proof of registration or pre-registration in higher education institution or professional training center.
  • Proof of payment of tuition fees (partial or complete).
  • Last completed degree (countries out of procedure "CEF - Studies in France").
  • OFII form for which the upper part is filled by the applicant (except nationalities governed by a bilateral agreement).
  • Accommodation for the first three months.
  • Scholarship certificate or bank certificate proving deposits in a French bank account of at least 615 euros per month or declaration from the sponsor for the coverage with evidence of sufficient funds.

Talent Migration data for France

Talent gain & drain map of 2015-2019 data. Sourced from World Bank Digital Development Data.

Disclaimer: Visadb.io is a FREE visa database and Immigration Expert Marketplace. The information displayed in this page is not legal advice. Please speak to an Expert before applying.

feedbackImprove this page

Subscribe to our newsletter

We send you latest news and updates about Visa and Immigration