Internship/Training Visa

Cost of Living
Talent Migration


If you are a non-EU/non-EEA/non-Swiss national and want to do internship or training in Germany in your field of interest, then you need to apply for this visa prior to your departure to Germany. The requirements for doing the internship depend on the company or institution offering it.

Nationals of Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, the Republic of Korea, New Zealand and the United States of America can enter Germany visa-free and then apply this visa upon arrival.

NOTE: This visa can be extended for maximum upto 12 months or more depending on the specific request from the company where you are undertaking internship. At the end of your internship, if the company or institution where you were engaged wants to hire you, you will have tor return to your home country, and from there apply for a working visa in order to be allowed to work as a regular employee.



12 months max.





Processing time

2-4 weeks




What are eligibility requirements for the Internship/Training Visa?

3 Eligibility Requirements

  • You must have an approval letter from German company / institution confirming conditions of applicant’s stay in Germany, including payment details.
  • You must obtain Bundesagentur für Arbeit – which is a permission to work in Germany(depends on your organization).
  • You must have a valid health insurance.

Which documents do I need to apply for the Internship/Training Visa?

11 Document Required

  • Application form, completed and signed.
  • Two identical photographs.
  • Valid national passport with 1 copy of your passport’s data page (A4 size copy).
  • Proof of minimum 30 thousand euros worth health insurance.
  • Flight Itinerary for your stay.
  • Proof of accommodation for your entire stay.
  • Document, like a bank statement, to show that you have sufficient means of subsistence.
  • Bundesagentur für Arbeit – permission to work in Germany, and interns are obliged to have it in order for their engagement at any organization to be legal. It is upon the institution / company where you will be engaging as an intern or trainee to obtain it for you.
  • Deputation / no-objection letter from your local employer or university you are studying at which confirms that the applicant is an employee / student at their organization.
  • Approval letter from German company / institution confirming conditions of applicant’s stay in Germany, including payment.
  • Proof of qualification (diploma, academic degree certificate or mark sheets).

Talent Migration data for Germany

Talent gain & drain map of 2015-2019 data. Sourced from World Bank Digital Development Data.

Disclaimer: is a FREE visa database and Immigration Expert Marketplace. The information displayed in this page is not legal advice. Please speak to an Expert before applying.

feedbackImprove this page

Hire verified experts for your next visa is trusted and funded by European Union, UNWTO, CORFO, MITEF and other organizations. Read more about us here.


No platform fee

Visadb is free for all users and we charge experts a fee.


Verified & Licenced Experts

We select high-reputation Experts, conduct video-interviews and verify their businesses.

as seen inFeatured in BBCFeatured in Business InsiderFeatured in CNNFeatured in The Next WebFeatured in The Guardian

Subscribe to our newsletter

We send you latest news and updates about Visa and Immigration