Athlete/Coach Work permit

Cost of Living
Talent Migration


If you are a non-EU/non-Swiss citizen and want to work as an athlete or a coach in Sweden, you need to apply for a work permit in your home country or country of residence. You must have obtained a contract with a club or association that belongs to the Swedish Sports Confederation.

Application Process:

  • Fill application
  • Submit the application online or by hand and pay the fees
  • Face the interview, contact the embassy before if you need to book an appointment
  • After the interview, the application is sent to the Migration agency in Sweden
  • Receive decision followed by residency card

NOTE: If you are a professional athlete or functionary, you can participate in international competitions for up to three months over the period of 12 months without having a work permit. However, citizens of certain countries need a visa to enter Sweden.



Upto 24 month(s)



60 Month(s)



110 USD (approx.)


P. Residency

48 Month(s)


Processing time

Upto 8 week(s)




What are eligibility requirements for the Athlete/Coach Work permit?

7 Eligibility Requirements

  • You must have a valid passport
  • You must have obtained a contract with a club or association that belongs to the Swedish Sports Confederation
  • The Swedish Sports Confederation must certify that your job is essential to the development of your sport
  • You must have been offered a monthly pretax salary of at least SEK 14,300
  • You must have the type of health and accident insurance coverage that is customary for your sport and level
  • You must play in Division 1 or higher for men and in Damallsvenskan or Elitettan for women if you are a football player. The same requirements apply for you to be working as football coach
  • You must play in Basketligan or Basketettan for men or women if you are a basketball player. The same requirements apply for you to be working as basketball coach

Which documents do I need to apply for the Athlete/Coach Work permit?

4 Document Required

  • Copies of the pages in your passport which show your personal information, photograph, signature, passport number, passport issuing country, the period of the passport's validity and whether you have permission to live in countries other than your country of origin. Make sure to extend your passport if it is about to expire – you cannot obtain a work permit for longer than your passport's period of validity.
  • Filled Application form
  • A signed contract with information on compensation (in SEK), insurance and the length of the contract
  • Income statements or payslips if you have had a work permit in the last twelve-month period (you should enclose information covering the whole period for which you had the permit).

Talent Migration data for Sweden

Talent gain & drain map of 2015-2019 data. Sourced from World Bank Digital Development Data.

Disclaimer: is a FREE visa database and Immigration Expert Marketplace. The information displayed in this page is not legal advice. Please speak to an Expert before applying.

feedbackImprove this page

Subscribe to our newsletter

We send you latest news and updates about Visa and Immigration