Work permit for Au Pairs

Cost of Living
Talent Migration


If you are a citizen of a non-EU country and want to be an Au-pair, you need to obtain a work permit. The purpose of your stay in Sweden must be to obtain international experience and the opportunity to learn Swedish language and culture.

Application Process:

  • Fill application.
  • Submit the application online or by hand and pay the fees.
  • Face the interview, contact the embassy before if you need to book an appointment.
  • After interview, application is sent to Migration agency in Sweden.
  • Receive decision followed by residency card.

NOTE: A previous period spent as an Au pair in another country immediately prior to the planned stay in Sweden could reduce the chances of you being granted a permit in Sweden, being an indication of regular work as a nanny or a similar position and not as an Au pair.



12 months max.



110 (approx.)


Processing time

8 weeks max.




What are eligibility requirements for the Work permit for Au Pairs?

7 Eligibility Requirements

  • You must have a valid passport.
  • You should between 18 to 30 years old.
  • You must show that you have a definite interest in or use for Swedish language studies.
  • You must have a certificate of admission to studies in Swedish.
  • You must have a written job offer from a family in Sweden, indicating that you will be doing light housework for no more than 25 hours per week.
  • You should not bring any family members with you.
  • Household and studies combined must not exceed 40 hours per week.

Which documents do I need to apply for the Work permit for Au Pairs?

4 Document Required

  • Copies of the pages in your passport that show your personal information, photograph, signature, passport number, passport issuing country, the period of the passport's validity and whether you have permission to live in countries other than your country of origin. Make sure to extend your passport if it is about to expire – you cannot obtain a work permit for longer than your passport's period of validity.
  • A written job offer from the host family specifying the conditions of your employment as an au pair.
  • A certificate of admission to Swedish studies specifying the number of hours per week you will be studying.
  • Printed application form (in case applying in person at the Consulate).

Talent Migration data for Sweden

Talent gain & drain map of 2015-2019 data. Sourced from World Bank Digital Development Data.

Disclaimer: is a FREE visa database and Immigration Expert Marketplace. The information displayed in this page is not legal advice. Please speak to an Expert before applying.

feedbackImprove this page

Subscribe to our newsletter

We send you latest news and updates about Visa and Immigration