Student Visa - ED category

Cost of Living


Foreign students who wish to study and reside in Thailand for more than 3 months, need to apply for an ED category Student visa.

This visa is valid for 90 days and students need to enter Thailand and complete the registration process to get an extension for the entire course period.

Application Process

  • Apply for a program in Thailand, of your choice.

  • Obtain the acceptance letter or letter of admission from the university, once your application is approved.

  • Apply for the Student ED visa with the necessary documents.

  • Travel to Thailand and complete the registration process within the first 90 days by paying the entire tuition fees.

  • Get an extension on your visa for the complete course duration.


  • You must register for at least 3 courses per semester, showing in your application that you are a serious student.

  • You must notify the Immigration Bureau every 90 days and tell them your current address. It’s a simple form you need to fill in, and there is no fee. You get a slip from this form noting the next date when you have to do it tagged into your passport. You can even do it by mail.

Work during studies: Work is not allowed legally on a student visa in Thailand.

Note: You need to apply for a Youth Mobility Program work permit.



90 days Month(s)



60 Month(s)






36 Month(s)



Very Low

Eligibility Requirements for the Student Visa - ED category

8 Eligibility Requirements

  • You need a passport/travel document valid for at least 6 months.
  • You must to be accepted/enrolled in a course of an approved university/college in Thailand.
  • You must register for at least 3 courses per semester and show in your application that you are a serious student.
  • You must obtain the letter of acceptance from the university enrolled.
  • You must register and pay the complete tuition fee in the first 90 days of arrival in Thailand to get an extension for your entire course duration.
  • In your entire duration of stay, you must register your address at the Immigration Bureau, every 90 days.
  • You may require valid travel insurance covering the entire period of your studies.
  • Additional requirements might be present. Please check with your University/College for details.

Document Requirements for the Student Visa - ED category

8 Document Required

  • Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months.
  • Visa application form completed and signed.
  • Recent (4x6cm) photograph of the applicant.
  • Recommendation letter addressed to the Consulate.
  • Letter of acceptance from the concerned academic institute/organisation.
  • For those wishing to study in a Private institution, an official letter from the Ministry of Education of Thailand, or other sub-authorities concerned, approving the enrolment of foreign students and a copy of the registration certificate of the concerned academic institute are required.
  • Academic record and the Student ID (if currently studying).
  • For those wishing to attend a seminar, or training session, or internship, a recommendation letter from the concerned organization addressed to the Consulate is also required.

feedbackImprove this page

Hire verified experts for your next visa is trusted and funded by European Union, UNWTO, CORFO, MITEF and other organizations. Read more about us here.


No platform fee

Visadb is free for all users and we charge experts a fee.


Verified & Licenced Experts

We select high-reputation Experts, conduct video-interviews and verify their businesses.

as seen inFeatured in BBCFeatured in The Guardian

Subscribe to our newsletter

We send you latest news and updates about Visa and Immigration