General student visa - Tier 4

United Kingdom
Cost of Living


Foreign students who wish to study and reside in the UK for more than 6 months, need to apply for a student visa at the nearest UK Embassy or Consul in the home country or country of residence.

Work during studies:

If you are studying a full-time programme, your Tier 4 visa should allow you to work in the UK. You will be permitted to work:

  • 20 hours in any given week during term time if you are studying a full-time programme at degree level and above; OR

  • 10 hours in any given week during term time if you are studying a full-time programme below degree level

  • Full time during vacation periods and after your programme end date (until your visa expires)

  • On an integral and assessed work placement as part of your studies

The processing time for study visa may take from 6-12 weeks from the application day.

You can bring Your spouse and kids with you.

The general application process is:

  1. Find a course in an approved educational institution of the UK

  2. Contact the university and initiate your application process.

  3. Find out the requirements from the university to get the acceptance/admission letter.

  4. Get the acceptance/admission letter from the university in the UK

  5. Prepare your visa application and gather other required documents for it.

  6. Apply for a student visa and prepare to move to the UK



More than 6 Month(s)



72 Month(s)






60 Month(s)




Eligibility Requirements

4 Eligibility Requirements for General student visa - Tier 4

  • You need an unconditional offer of a place on a course with a licensed Tier 4 sponsor
  • You need proof of enough money to support and pay for the course - the amount will vary depending on the circumstances
  • You need a reference number called confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS), from the education provider
  • Additional requirements might be present. Please check with your University/College in UK for details

Document Requirements

5 Document Required for General student visa - Tier 4

  • Visa application form, completed and signed
  • Proof of financial means/scholarship to cover the studies
  • Proof of parental or other legal guardian consent if you are under 18
  • Copies of enrollment letter from educational institute in the UK
  • Tuberculosis test results if you are from a country where test is required

feedbackImprove this page

Hire verified experts for your next visa is trusted and funded by European Union, UNWTO, CORFO, MITEF and other organizations.


No platform fee

Visadb is free for all users and we charge experts a fee.


Verified & Licenced Experts

We select high-reputation Experts, conduct video-interviews and verify their businesses.