Student Visa (type F)

United States
Cost of Living
Talent Migration


Generally, a citizen of a foreign country who wishes to enter the United States must first obtain a visa, either a nonimmigrant visa for temporary stay, or an immigrant visa for permanent residence. You must have a student visa to study in the United States. Your course of study and the type of school you plan to attend determine whether you need an F or M visa. Generally to study in university, college, school and private institution for language program requires to apply for student visa type F.

Step by step guide:

The first step is to apply to a SEVP-approved school in the United States. After the SEVP-approved school accepts your enrollment, you will be registered for the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) and must pay the SEVIS I-901 fee.

The SEVP-approved school will issue you a Form I-20. After you receive the Form I-20 and register in SEVIS, you may apply at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate for a student (F or M) visa. You must present the Form I-20 to the consular officer when you attend your visa interview.

Work during studies:

International (F-1) students are eligible to work full-time (a minimum of 35 hours per week) or part-time (20 to 34 hours per week) during the summer semester, During the fall or spring semester students are only eligible to work part-time (20 hours per week).

The processing time for study visa may take from 6-12 weeks from the application day.

You can bring your spouse and kids with you.

Spouse & Kids:

If your spouse and/or children intend to live with you in the United States while you study, they must also enroll in SEVIS, obtain individual Form I-20s from the SEVP-approved school, and apply for a visa (but they do not pay the SEVIS fee).

Students on F or M visas are not permitted to enter the United States earlier than 30 days before the start date of their program.



24 Month(s)



96 Month(s)





P. Residency

60 Month(s)




What are eligibility requirements for the Student Visa (type F)?

3 Eligibility Requirements

  • You need a passport/travel document valid for at least 12 months
  • You must to be accepted/approved The first step is to apply to a SEVP-approved school in the United States.
  • You need sufficient funds to cover your studies or a scholarship which confirms the payment of the tuition fees

Which documents do I need to apply for the Student Visa (type F)?

7 Document Required

  • You need to fill Online Non-immigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160
  • Form I-20 or Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) student status-for academic and language students.
  • Copies of valid passport (including the bio page, past visas, etc)
  • Character and health certificate (if applicable)
  • Proof of financial means/scholarship to cover the studies
  • Photo – You will upload your photo while completing the online Form DS-160. If the photo upload fails, you must bring one printed photo
  • Application fee payment receipt, if you are required to pay before your interview.

Talent Migration data for United States

Talent gain & drain map of 2015-2019 data. Sourced from World Bank Digital Development Data.

Disclaimer: is a FREE visa database and Immigration Expert Marketplace. The information displayed in this page is not legal advice. Please speak to an Expert before applying.

feedbackImprove this page

Subscribe to our newsletter

We send you latest news and updates about Visa and Immigration