Representatives of Foreign Media

United States
Cost of Living
Talent Migration


You may be eligible for the I, Representatives of Foreign Media, nonimmigrant visa, if you:

  • Represent a foreign information media outlet (press, radio, film, or other foreign information media).
  • Are coming to the United States to engage solely in this profession.
  • Have a home office in a foreign country.

Occupations under this category include reporters, film crews, editors, and similar occupations. Any spouse and children under the age of 21 may accompany or follow to join an I nonimmigrant.

Application Process:

You can apply for an I visa at an American Embassy or consulate with jurisdiction over your place of permanent residence. The Department of State establishes visa application processing and issuance fees. For detailed application instructions, see the Department of State’s page.

As a representative of foreign media, you cannot travel to the U.S. and engage in your profession without an I Non-immigrant visa, even if you are a citizen of a country that participates in the U.S. Visa Waiver Program (VWP). If you attempt to travel to the U.S. without the appropriate visa, you may be denied admission by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) at the port of entry (airport, seaport, or land border). There are limited instances under which you, as a foreign media representative, may be eligible to travel with a visitor’s visa. See the Department of State’s page for more information.



12 months



60 Month(s)





P. Residency

36 Month(s)


Processing time

8-12 weeks




What are eligibility requirements for the Representatives of Foreign Media?

5 Eligibility Requirements

  • You need a passport valid for at least 6 months.
  • You must represent a foreign information media outlet.
  • You need a work contract, Journalistic accreditation, Press card and Past published articles.
  • You should be in of good health.
  • You should be of good character.

Which documents do I need to apply for the Representatives of Foreign Media?

7 Document Required

  • Your valid passport.
  • Your Form DS-160 confirmation page.
  • Receipts which prove you have paid all applicable fees.
  • Letter from your employer describing the purpose of your stay in the U.S which must fall into the I visa activities. In addition, the letter should detail your length of stay, and the duration of your work contract, as well as your personal information.
  • Your qualifications which ensure you fall into the I visa category: Work contracts, Journalistic accreditation, Press card, and Past published articles.
  • Medical documents proving you are in good health.
  • Documents proving you have no past criminal record.

Talent Migration data for United States

Talent gain & drain map of 2015-2019 data. Sourced from World Bank Digital Development Data.

Disclaimer: is a FREE visa database and Immigration Expert Marketplace. The information displayed in this page is not legal advice. Please speak to an Expert before applying.

feedbackImprove this page

Subscribe to our newsletter

We send you latest news and updates about Visa and Immigration